VR is HOT right now. Do you know why? You probably see those goofy goggles and imagine some gamer shooting aliens. That is WAY off. The whole VR world has changed. TechWite helps you understand how.
- “Old VR” – Think of Google Maps “Street View”—flat, boring…
- 2D – although you can “move”, the images have no depth.
- Viewed through a porthole – big screen, little screen, it’s still like a submarine.
- Controlled manually – by a keyboard, joystick, or game controller. It kind of works, but it’s not like being there.
- Still images create the 360 degree “dead” world
- No interaction with anything “in” the images
- “New VR” – Think of Star Trek TNG’s “Holodeck”—mind blowing, you are there!
- 3D – What you see has depth, you can see “around” objects
- It Devours your vision – that’s what those goofy headsets are for- everything you see is part of the VR world. Add stereo sound, and that’s why it’s called “immersive”. You are in it!
- Controlled by your movement – Turn your head to the right, you see what is on your right in the VR world. Look up, look down, ditto. This alone is a bit of a shock the first time you experience it!
- Content can be 3D 360 degree video – Want to go for a helicopter ride over Manhattan? Be sure to hold on to something before you look down!
That’s just the beginning. Size, gravity, time – they can’t stop you. Examples:
- RTVR – Like drones? Be one. Experience flying, in Real Time Virtual Reality
- Remember Fantastic Voyage? You are now a tiny submarine inside a living human body. Explore the arteries and veins and organs. You see this, and experience it.
There’s so much to learn about this, to think about. Fortunately, the Tech media is all over it. (Links for you, below.) Start reading about it. But no words can do this justice, you must experience it. Get some Google Goggles, get the New York Times app for your iPhone or Android, and download one of the demos. Then take some time to imagine the possibility of experiencing the impossible.
via TidBits On the iPhone, Virtual Reality Is Unofficially Real
via AirWatch Blog 5 Epic Examples of Business Using Virtual Reality
via Google Filed Patent For Injecting A Device Directly Into Your Eyeball To Improve Vision – Forbes —Yes, another suggestion that we are not that far from “The Matrix”.
via Augmented and Virtual Reality: A New Vision – Deloitte CIO – WSJ
via Virtual Reality Therapy: Treating The Global Mental Health Crisis | TechCrunch.
via Samsung Announces Gear 360, a New Virtual Reality Camera – The New York Times.